TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

An Audio Review of The Beautiful Ashes by Jeaniene Frost

I received this book for free from Audiobookjukebox.com in exchange for an honest review. No compensation was provided and all opinions are strictly my own.

An Audio Review of The Beautiful Ashes by Jeaniene FrostThe Beautiful Ashes by Jeaniene Frost
Series: Broken Destiny #1
Length: 8 hrs and 21 mins
Source: Audiobookjukebox.com
four-stars
Amazon | Audiobook | B&N | Goodreads
In a world of shadows, anything is possible. Except escaping your fate.

Ever since she was a child, Ivy has been gripped by visions of strange realms just beyond her own. But when her sister goes missing, Ivy discovers the truth is far worse—her hallucinations are real, and her sister is trapped in a parallel realm. And the one person who believes her is the dangerously attractive guy who's bound by an ancient legacy to betray her.

Adrian might have turned his back on those who raised him, but that doesn't mean he can change his fate…no matter how strong a pull he feels toward Ivy. Together they search for the powerful relic that can save her sister, but Adrian knows what Ivy doesn't: that every step brings Ivy closer to the truth about her own destiny, and a war that could doom the world. Sooner or later, it will be Ivy on one side and Adrian on the other. And nothing but ashes in between…

Jonetta reviewed THE BEAUTIFUL ASHES last month on release day. I knew I was going to read it myself but when I got the chance to review the audio I jumped on it for two reasons. Time, it was going to be a while before I could work reading the book into my schedule and since I can listen to audios at work I knew I could get to it faster. Reason two, Tavia Gilbert is the narrator and I’ve enjoyed her narration of other Jeaniene Frost books.

While I’ve enjoyed Tavia as Cat, Vlad, Ian and Bones I felt like a different narrator might have been a better choice. Why? Because THE BEAUTIFUL ASHES is set in a new world with new characters and I had a hard time at first remembering this is not Cat I’m listening to. That’s not really Tavia’s fault! I’ve had this happen to me with other author and narrator combos where the author has the same narrator for all their books. Tavia delivered a great performance as always and I’m sure if I listen to book two in the series I’ll not have the same issues with mixing up the heroines. Plus I must admit that missed hearing Tavia voice different accents. She’s really good at them.

Over all the narration by Tavia was enjoyable and if I get the chance to listen to book two then I’ll gladly give it a go.

Now about the writing, characters and story of THE BEAUTIFUL ASHES.

The writing was awesome, hello it’s Jeaniene Frost! And to all the people out there that said “it’s not Cat and Bones” DUH! It’s a new world and new characters. I was not expecting Cat and Bones 2.0. Other authors write series about other non-related characters so why can’t Frost? But the world building and humor that is signature Frost is there.

Others have said, “its New Adult”. Yeah, so. It’s labeled NA because the heroine, Ivy is 20. That’s it. Jeaniene Frost said in a book signing I went to earlier in the year that Cat started out as 19 but the publisher wanted her to be older so she changed her age (I’m paraphrasing). So bam Cat is 27, done. I’ve read a few other NA books and they had sex in them. Did THE BEAUTIFUL ASHES have sex? No. There was tons of sexual tension that I think will only build but you get that with a lot of Urban Fantasy series and that’s how I see THE BEAUTIFUL ASHES, as an Urban Fantasy novel.

Others have also compared TBA to the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. I can see where some elements would remind readers of the Fever series. Fever is about Fae, TBA is about Demons. Both heroines are sucked into the paranormal world and must learn fast how to survive it. Mac (Fever) can see through Fae glamour. Ivy (TBA) can see through Demon glamour.  There’s a mysterious alpha like male in TBA, Adrian. But it is not as alpha as Barrons! He is not an ass like Barrons (I can call Barrons an ass because I love them!) Also both men are using the women to find a supernatural item. Fever it’s a book, TBA it’s a weapon.

But honestly with all the paranormal books I’ve read I can find elements in a lot of them to compare against each other.

Jeaniene Frost has created a complex world with her Broken Destiny series and I can’t wait to see how Ivy grows and takes on her next task in order to save the world. Oh, why there might not be a chapter 32 in Ivy and Adrain’s feature I’m sure that the chemistry between them will only get hotter.