TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

Gin is Serving Up Some Kickass Pie in Poison Promise by Jennifer Estep

Gin is Servicing Up Some Kickass Pie in Poison Promise by Jennifer EstepPoison Promise by Jennifer Estep
Series: Elemental Assassin #11
Published by Pocket Star on July 22, 2014
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Format: Paperback
Pages: 400 pages
Source: Publisher
four-half-stars

I specialize in making death wishes come true.

Pop quiz. Which do you think is deadlier: Burn, the nastiest drug ever to hit the mean streets of Ashland, or me, Gin Blanco, the assassin known as the Spider? Answer: Me—because I don’t kill you slowly.

Normally, drug dealers aren’t my department. But I’m turning up the heat on some relentless Burn-pushing thugs who won’t leave my friends alone. Pushers who have my cop sister beside herself with rage, so I’m stepping up to keep her from doing something stupid and getting herself killed. Once I’m in, I’m in, and these folks have picked their poison: the Spider’s venom. But even bad guys have their good days, and sometimes even my Ice and Stone magic isn’t enough. For behind the drug is a vicious vampire with a scientific eye for results. And behind him… trouble like I haven’t seen since I took down my legendary nemesis, Mab Monroe.

While this review will be spoiler free for Poison Promise, it does make references to previous books. So if you are not up to date on the series there could be spoilers ahead.

Whether Gin is serving up triple chocolate milkshakes at the Pork Pit or serving up bad guys at the end of her knife you can guarantee that the service will come with a smile.

Gin’s about to turn 31 and she’s not geared up to celebrate. It’s not turning 31 that bugs her, it’s the fact that bad things happen around her birthday. First years ago Mab killed her mother and older sister, then last year (that’s right, this wild and bloody ride has only been a year in Gin’s life) her mentor and father figure, Fletcher was tortured and murdered. So it’s no wonder she’s not excited about her birthday. Plus Finn, her foster-brother and wing man ALWAYS throws her a surprise every year even when she tells him not to. But before Finn has a chance to throw confetti at Gin the local drug dealer in Southtown throws bullets and other non-party favors at her.

Let’s talk about that drug dealer. Estep writes some great villains! Beauregard Benson is a great example. He’s a nerdy vampire that fancies himself a scientist that dresses in white pants, sneakers, bow ties, glasses and a pocket protector. And he drives a baby-blue Bentley that makes even Finn drool. But don’t let his outer appearance fool you. He is one evil dude. No one since Mab Monroe has come so close to taking out The Spider.

Benson really does a number on Gin. Where Mab and others have physically beaten Gin, Benson did some real mind games on Gin. And as we know sometimes the mind games stay with you longer than the physical hurts.

Gin’s been dealing with the fall out of taking down Mab for months. All the Ashland under lords and lackeys have been making attempt after attempt on taking down The Spider but after Poison PromiseGin has changed the game and it’s going to be very interesting to see how the underworld handles it.

The only thing keeping the rating from having 5 stars is Bria. After all this time and all the things she’s seen, Bria is still judging Gin about being The Spider. I’m hoping after Poison Promise she’s finally learned her listen and we won’t see this kind of judgement thinking from her again. Really, how many times does Gin have to save her butt for her to get off her soapbox.

Poison Promise is full of the quality story telling and characters I’ve come to expect from Jennifer Estep, and I can’t wait to read Black Widow.

About Jennifer Estep

Jennifer-Estep-4-240x300

Jennifer Estep is a New York Times bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series for Pocket Books and the Mythos Academy young adult urban fantasy series for Kensington. She is also the author of the Bigtime paranormal romance series. For more information on her books, visit Jennifer’s website at www.jenniferestep.com.