TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

Twisting Plot with Great Heroine. Dark Hope by H.D. Smith

I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Twisting Plot with Great Heroine. Dark Hope by H.D. SmithDark Hope by H.D. Smith
Series: The Devil's Assistant #1
Format: Audiobook
Length: 11 hrs and 9 mins
Source: Author
Audiobook | Goodreads
Loving a demon isn’t the end of the world—losing him is.

Claire, the Devil’s assistant, knows very little about the world she was dropped into five years ago, when she inherited her mother’s unpaid debt to the Demon King. She certainly didn’t expect to be a contender for the Fallen Queen’s throne, a target for the Druid King’s mafia, or a suspect in the murder of Junior, the Devil’s oldest hell spawn.

In a last ditch effort to save her life and get out of her deal with the Devil, she sets out to solve Junior’s murder only to be taken prisoner by the four most dangerous immortal hell spawn alive.

Not to be out done, the Pagan Queen Mab, claims Claire for entering her realm uninvited. She has an old debt to settle with her brother the Devil. Taking Claire from him after losing her years ago is just icing on the cake.

Will Claire win her freedom, and save herself from the Devil? Or be trapped by Mab forever?

First Thought

Lauren Fortgang is the narrator? Hell yeah sign me up!

What I liked

Dark Hope started out as a kind of light UF story that turned into a complex story that had me wondering where the roller coaster was going to stop. I liked the fact that I couldn’t easily figure the plot out by chapter 5 like other books I’ve read. Dark Hope is an audio you need to listen carefully to because you can find yourself lost if you check out from time to time. A lot of plot twists happen.

What Didn’t Quite Work For Me

I actually took a break with only 2 hours left in the audio because I was as lost and pissed as Claire and just wanted to know what the heck was going on. After I took a break and came back to Dark Hope I was glad I did.

Will I continue the series?

Yes. I enjoyed the plot and Claire enough to give a second book a go. Especially if it’s on audio and narrated by Lauren Fortgang. Plus I NEED to know who was taking Claire home at the end. H.D. Smith you left me hanging. LOL

Why I listened

Lauren. Freaking. Fortgang. Seriously if I see her name as the narrator I’m going to give it a try. I could listen to Lauren read the phone book. Lauren nailed Dark Hope’s 1st person POV through Claire.