TheBookNympho

Format: Audiobook
Length: 9 hrs and 40 mins
Source: Purchased
Audiobook | Goodreads
Thor, the Norse god of thunder, is worse than a blowhard and a bully - he’s ruined countless lives and killed scores of innocents. After centuries, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson is ready to get his vengeance, and he’s asked his friend Atticus O’Sullivan, the last of the Druids, to help take down this Norse nightmare.

One survival strategy has worked for Atticus for more than two thousand years: stay away from the guy with the lightning bolts. But things are heating up in Atticus’s home base of Tempe, Arizona. There’s a vampire turf war brewing, and Russian demon hunters who call themselves the Hammers of God are running rampant. Despite multiple warnings and portents of dire consequences, Atticus and Leif journey to the Norse plane of Asgard, where they team up with a werewolf, a sorcerer, and an army of frost giants for an epic showdown against vicious Valkyries, angry gods, and the hammer-wielding Thunder Thug himself.

Hammered is the 3rd book in Kevin Hearne’s  Iron Druid Chronicles. While we get some of the same humor that I love from Hearne, Hammered was just a bit slower than the last two books. Why? Most of the book reminded me of the LONG journey in Lord of the Rings. You have a group of guys traveling to find Thor, the Thunder God. Why do they want to find Thor? To kill him. Atticus promised Leif that he would help him. And after hearing all of the guys in the group stories (male bonding around the camp fire)  about Thor. Atticus gets a clear picture about what a douche bag Thor is.

Two of my favorite scenes in Hammered was of course the speech that Oberon gives about Triple Nonfat Double Bacon Five-Cheese Mocha and Atticus having a pint and fish-n-chips with Jesus.

While Hammered is not my favorite in the series so far it’s still a must read/listen for fans of the series. Just know that it’s very heavy in mythology and geekery. (Seriously, Atticus does a lot of Star Trek talking to himself LOL)

The Narration:

Ever wonder what a giant squirrel would sound like? According to Luke Daniels it’s much like LotR’s Gollum. I imagine him hugging a nut saying my precious. Daniels truly kept me entertained with all his delightful voices for some of the quirkier characters.

Jennifer

About Kevin Hearne

Kevin is the author of The Iron Druid Chronicles, an urban fantasy series published by Del Rey Books. The first six books of the series are now out as well as a novella that’s book 4.5 and some other short works. The seventh book, SHATTERED, will be released June 17.

Source: http://thebooknympho.com/2014/06/thor-is-a-thunder-turd-hammered-by-kevin-hearne-2