TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Ilona Andrews + Renée Raudman = Urban Fantasy Gold! Clean Sweep by Ilona AndrewsClean Sweep by Ilona Andrews
Series: Innkeeper Chronicles #1
Format: Audiobook
Length: 7 hrs and 55 mins
Source: Author
Audiobook | Goodreads
On the outside, Dina Demille is the epitome of normal. She runs a quaint Victorian Bed and Breakfast in a small Texas town, owns a Shih Tzu named Beast, and is a perfect neighbor, whose biggest problem should be what to serve her guests for breakfast. But Dina is...different: Her broom is a deadly weapon; her Inn is magic and thinks for itself. Meant to be a lodging for otherworldly visitors, the only permanent guest is a retired Galactic aristocrat who can’t leave the grounds because she’s responsible for the deaths of millions and someone might shoot her on sight. Under the circumstances, "normal" is a bit of a stretch for Dina.

And now, something with wicked claws and deepwater teeth has begun to hunt at night....Feeling responsible for her neighbors, Dina decides to get involved. Before long, she has to juggle dealing with the annoyingly attractive, ex-military, new neighbor, Sean Evans - an alpha-strain werewolf - and the equally arresting cosmic vampire soldier, Arland, while trying to keep her inn and its guests safe. But the enemy she’s facing is unlike anything she’s ever encountered before. It’s smart, vicious, and lethal, and putting herself between this creature and her neighbors might just cost her everything.

Well-Written Must-Read Magical

Clean Sweep was originally released on Andrew’s blog in pieces. I’m not one for reading books in parts so I decided to wait until it was all done and released as a finished product. Then I found out it was going to be produced on audio so I waited for it. And I’m so glad I did.

All the Ilona Andrews’ books I’ve experienced has been on audio and narrated by Renee Raudman so I’ve come to expect high quality and I’ve never been let down. You can’t go wrong with a team like Ilona Andrews and Renee Raudman! Seriously, Raudman brings the writing of Andrews to life, like no one else could andClean Sweep was a pure delight on audio.

If you are a fan of Ilona Andrews you know that they (husband and wife writing team if you didn’t know) Urban Fantasy writing gods that write about magically beings that find themselves in some serious and often funny predicaments. Really, only Ilona Andrews can bring you an inter galaxy fight in the middle of a Costco.

“The woman stared at the ruined body. Blood dripped from her arm. A fine spray of red covered her face –must’ve been cast off when she slammed down the cans. She wiped her face with her left forearm and kicked the stalker’s corpse with her sneakered foot. “Don’t mess with Texas.”

They write some of the best heroines and Dina the Inn Keeper of Gertrude Hunt is a fine example. They are habitually sarcastic, strong and independent.  Much like other heroines that Andrews has penned, Dina doesn’t need a man to keep her safe.  But she finds herself face to face with a growly alpha man when the neighborhood werewolf, Sean Evans comes peeing on her apple tree.

Sean is the picture of an alpha hero. He’s a werewolf that knows every little about other supernatural including other werewolves. He has lived in the human world on Earth and is just finding out about the Inns that act as way stations for other worldly supes.

The Inn is not just a bed and breakfast; it’s a way station or rest stop for all kinds of magical and supernatural from other planets. It’s also a living entity, one that must be keep active by its inn keeper.

Like most Urban Fantasy novels there’s not much romance but there is a promise of one to come. Sean and Dina find each other attractive and there’s a definite chemistry between the two. But neither is in the market for a honey bun, there are more important things to deal with at the moment.  Then enters the vampire, Arland, which is also very appealing to look at. And of course Sean and Arland try to beat their chests in attempt to get Dina’s attention.

“Where is Arland?”
“Rapunzel decided to walk around in the woods to get ‘the feel of the battleground.’ He won’t leave the grounds and he promises to defend the inn with ‘all the strength in his body.’ I told him if he gets in trouble, he should try singing prettily so his woodland friends will come to the rescue. I don’t think he got it.”

Could there be a love triangle in Dina’s future? Only time will tell.

“I have spent my spare time studying literature popular with young women of this planet. One should always study the battlefield.”
Sean glanced at him. “And?”
“I suggest you give up now. According to my research, in a vampire-werewolf love triangle, the vampire always gets the girl.”

“Is that so?” Sean asked.

“It is.”

“In that case may the best man win.”

Dina has this funny and scary sidekick, Beast, which looks like a Shih Tzu but after Beast trees Sean (the werewolf!) I couldn’t help but picture the “dog” from Despicable Me. LOL

I really enjoyed Clean Sweep and I’m very tempted to head over to Ilona Andrews’ website to start readingSweep in Peace. I could always listen to the audio afterwards, right? I highly recommend Clean Sweep to fans of Ilona Andrews and if you have not tried their work, Clean Sweep would be a fun place to start.

Source: http://thebooknympho.com/2014/06/ilona-andrews-renee-raudman-urban-fantasy-gold-clean-sweep-by-ilona-andrews