TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

Audio vs eBook Forgotten Sins by Rebecca Zanetti

I received this book for free from Netgalley, Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Audio vs eBook Forgotten Sins by Rebecca ZanettiForgotten Sins by Rebecca Zanetti
Series: Sin Brothers #1
Length: 11 hours and 48 minutes
Source: NetgalleyPublisher
Amazon |Audiobook |B&N |Kobo | Goodreads

His Secrets Can Destroy Her

From the moment Josie laid eyes on sexy, mysterious Shane Dean, she was in love. Their desire ignited a passionate affair, and within weeks, Shane had slipped a ring on her finger. It seemed her every fantasy was coming true . . . until her new husband disappeared without a trace. Now, two years and one broken heart later, Josie is shocked by the hospital calls: Shane has been found . . . at a crime scene with no memory of how he got there.

Her Love Can Save Him

Shane can't remember the blue-eyed angel at his bedside—or who he even is—but he knows something isn't right. His hearing is razor sharp, his physical strength incredible, and the urge to protect Josie overwhelming. For powerful enemies are hunting him, and Josie is the key to discovering why. As Shane struggles to unravel his past, dangerous new truths come to light. Can he protect the only woman he's ever loved? And can Josie trust a man she thought she knew—one who carries such a deadly secret?

Jonetta and Jennifer team up again for a joint review.

Quick Summary

Josie Dean hasn’t seen her husband in over two years until she receives a call from the hospital to come get him. Shane is suffering from amnesia and doesn’t remember her but quickly decides he wants to resume his role as her husband. Things soon start to get dangerous when there’s an attack on their house and it’s unclear why and by whom.

Shane’s story

Jonetta: It starts out mysteriously with a view of Shane’s world as a child, which appeared strange and unconventional. The details are slowly revealed throughout the story. I found this pretty interesting, even though it took a bit too long to reveal as I was confused. He has some unusual skills that hint at the paranormal, which was unexpected. It kept my interest piqued.

Jennifer:  Shane’s background reminds me a little of some of the stories in Lora Leigh’s Breeds series. A solider “made” not “born”. I was not expecting this angle and I agree there’s something paranormal going on with his heightened abilities. I think we’ll get more about that as the series goes on.

The action

Jonetta: There’s a lot going on with repeated attacks on Josie and Shane, with it not always clear which of them was the target. This is the story’s strength as I was trying to not only figure out the why but the who and the motivation. It kept me in the story and it showcased Shane’s skills and Josie’s who surprised me with her ability to handle herself.

Jennifer:  There’s one character I just KNEW was a bad guy and was waiting for Josie to figure it out but she never did. She found out when the readers did (or the readers that didn’t figure it out sooner). I’m still a little confused on who was stalking Josie before she meets Shane and why they were stalking her. Maybe I blanked out on that part of the audio.

The romance

Jonetta: For me, this was the weakness of the story. Josie had every right to be leery of Shane after he disappeared for two years. She kept going back and forth about whether she should trust him or not, often making some really bad decisions that got her in big trouble, OVER and OVER again!! I just got tired of the indecision after a while. Shane’s lies didn’t help either, which made no sense to continue doing so very late in the story. It just didn’t work for me. I liked both of them in spite of her many TSTL moments and his über alpha personality that bordered on caveman behavior sometimes. All of this just undermined their relationship.

Jennifer:  I agree. If my husband left me and has been “missing” for two years without a reason or even a phone call within those two years, I would not give him a second chance. But if Josie didn’t then this would not have been a romance. And really how attached could they have been to each other after only being married for two months after they only knew each other for a few weeks. I bought into the lust but not the love factor.

Overall story

Jonetta: I think the series has potential in spite of the issues with the romance and Josie’s TSTL moments, which annoyed me a LOT. While we learned the complete details about Shane and his brothers, the story didn’t end and there is still lots to resolve. Each of the brothers has special skills distinct from each other and I’m intrigued to explore their stories.

Jennifer:  I’m hoping that the other Sin brothers have better romances. I think that Forgotten Sin falls prey to 1st book syndrome. I rarely love the 1st book in a series or the couple in them but I’m giving the series another try with book 2, Sweet Revenge.

Jonetta + Cat

Jennifer’s thoughts on the Narration

I received the audio from the publisher for review.

Karen White really is suited for the romance genre. She does a solid job with both male and female characters. I was pressed for time  so I sped the audio up and Karen sounds even great at the faster pace. LOL I couldn’t even tell that I was listening at a faster speed.

Jennifer