TheBookNympho

Genres: Contemporary Fiction
Format: eARC
Pages: 400
Source: Netgalley

Gerri can't decide what's more devastating: learning her rock-solid marriage has big cracks, or the anger she feels as she tries to repair them. Always the anchor for friends and her three angst-ridden teenagers, it's time to look carefully at herself. The journey is more than revealin—it's transforming.

Andy doesn't have a great track record with men, and she's come to believe that a lasting love is out of reach. When she finds herself attracted to her down-to-earth contractor—a man without any of the qualities that usually appeal to her—she questions everything she thought she wanted in life.

Sonja's lifelong pursuit of balance is shattered when her husband declares he's through with her New Age nonsense and walks out. There's no herbal tonic or cleansing ritual that can restore her serenity—or her sanity.

Miraculously, it's BJ, the reserved newcomer to Mill Valley, who steps into their circle and changes everything. The woman with dark secrets opens up to her neighbors, and together they get each other back on track, stronger as individuals and unfaltering as friends.

I decided to try this story simply because it seemed to be a larger extension of the contemporary fiction aspect of Robyn Carr’s Thunder Point series, which I am enjoying immensely. My instincts were dead on asFour Friends is quite the masterpiece.

The story centers around three friends who live in the same neighborhood, actually on the same street. The fourth emerges later as she’s relatively new. In the space of a few weeks, their contented lives are completely upended when each experience strife in their marriages.

The friends

Gerri Gilbert, who is considered to have the best, most successful marriage faces a serious challenge as she contemplates ending her relationship with her husband, Phil. The impact on the lives of her children sends the family into chaos as she reluctantly examines her role in the matter.

Andy Jamison has to come to terms with the inevitable end of her second marriage and the choices she’s made that have her ending up in the same place and feeling unfulfilled. She finds support, friendship and deep affection from the most unlikely person, while her son and friends struggle to accept the sincerity of her feelings.

Sonja Johanson, the one who seemed to be the most in control and spiritually grounded literally unravels before her friends eyes when confronted with a life-altering course. Her journey back is remarkable.

BJ Smith is the mysterious new neighbor who unwittingly provides grounding for the three friends, seeing what they didn’t have the ability to notice right in front of them. Her pragmatism and detachment made a difference in an odd way and slowly she becomes swept up in the friendship with the women, who embrace her and provide support when she needed it.

The bottom line

I was enthralled by this book and couldn’t put it down. Each of these women’s stories touched me and I connected with some aspect of their lives. I felt what they felt when they experienced it and loved their honesty. The romances are unconventional and sexy in their own right. This is a story of substance, not always comfortable to read but definitely one I wanted to stay with. If you like contemporary fiction with elements of romance, you’ll love this story.

Jonetta + Cat

GIVEAWAY

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Source: http://thebooknympho.com/2014/04/review-giveaway-four-friends-by-robyn-carr