TheBookNympho

Format: Hardcover
Pages: 352
Source: Publisher
Purchase Book | Add to Goodreads

An unexpected phone call heralds a new challenge for Mercy. Her mate Adam’s ex-wife is in trouble, on the run from her new boyfriend. Adam isn’t the kind of man to turn away a person in need—and Mercy knows it. But with Christy holed up in Adam’s house, Mercy can’t shake the feeling that something about the situation isn’t right.

Soon, her suspicions are confirmed when she learns that Christy has the farthest thing from good intentions. She wants Adam back and she’s willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen, including turning Adam’s pack against Mercy.

Mercy isn’t about to step down without a fight, but there’s a more dangerous threat circling. Christy’s ex is more than a bad man—in fact, he may not be human at all. As the bodies start piling up, Mercy must put her personal troubles aside to face a creature with the power to tear her whole world apart.
While this review will be spoiler free for Night Broken the 8th book in the Mercy Thompson series there will be some minor series spoilers.

Patricia Briggs does an amazing job writing Urban Fantasy with a heroine that’s strong and loyal to a fault and the Mercy Thompson series is a great example of that writing ability.

Mercy, a coyote walker (shape shifter) has lived among werewolves most of her life. Even though she is not as physically strong as the werewolf pack she is now a park of she is possibly the strongest member the Columbia Basin pack has. And she has the patience of a saint which is tested to the point of breaking when her mate/husband, Adam’s ex-wife calls for help.

There was times I felt like Adam needed to put that trouble making witch, Christy in her place! If I was Mercy he would be sleeping in the “dog” house. But I can see way he didn’t. Because of pack politics Mercy needed to be the one to do. And Mercy, the trickster she can be got her revenge in the end. One that would make Bran laugh in remembrance of a young Mercy and her time with his pack.

In fact Briggs does a great job of foreshadowing when Mercy and Adam take a trip down memory lane about one of the tricks Mercy played on Bran’s witch of a mate. I love how an author will throw us bread crumbs that add up to a pay off by the end of the book and Night Broken is laced a with a few of them. One had a very gross out factor for me but I can’t go into it without bordering on a spoiler.

Many of the series characters make an appearance; werewolves, vampires and fae along with a new character, Gary Laughingdog. He brought some humor to some scenes and I would like to see more of him and Coyote interact. Also the big bad is one nasty mo-fo and just when Mercy thought she’s seen all that the supe world had to offer she gets a volanco god thrown at her.

Now that I’ve read the latest on Mercy and Adam I am “chomping at the bit” to get a new Alpha & Omegabook about Charles and Anna. I love Briggs’ world she had created and both series should be on every Urban Fantasy reader’s shelf.

signature