TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

Audio Review: Up From the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Audio Review: Up From the Grave by Jeaniene FrostUp From the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Series: Night Huntress #7
Pages: 384
Length: 8.7 hrs
Source: Purchased
Purchase Book |Purchase Audiobook | Add to Goodreads

There's always one more grave to digLately, life has been unnaturally calm for vampires Cat Crawfield and her husband, Bones. They should have known better than to relax their guard, because a shocking revelation sends them back into action to stop an all-out war . . .A rogue CIA agent is involved in horrifying secret activities that threaten to raise tensions between humans and the undead to dangerous heights. Now Cat and Bones are in a race against time to save their friends from a fate worse than death . . . because the more secrets they unravel, the deadlier the consequences. And if they fail, their lives—and those of everyone they hold dear—will be hovering on the edge of the grave.

You really should read Home for the Holidays and Twice Tempted before reading Up From the Grave. But if you don’t mind a spoiler for Twice Tempted or a “when did we find that out” moment when something is mentioned that was revealed in Home for the Holidays then you can go ahead and read Up From the Grave.

I love the Night Huntress series. Especially books 1-4. I’ve reread them 3 times and would have read them a 4th for the ending but I read out of reading time.  So it pains me to say that Up From the Grave was my not favorite book in the series but I did enjoy it more than the previous book, One Grave at a Time. Frost managed to wrap all the key points in the series and give Cat & Bones their HEA.

I had three issues with Up From the Grave that kept me from giving it an A rating….

One Grave at a Time introduced a new story arc that felt rushed in its wrap up in Up From the Grave. Déjà vu …  we are lead to believe something that was already used in an earlier book? I can’t go into what so that I don’t spoil anyone. But I thought it was a hardship on Cat that didn’t need to be used again. (Shrugs) New character and their storyline. Again I can’t go into details without spoilers.

But if I over look those few issues it was fun to have most of  the gang present in this last installment of the Night Huntress series. I think Frost gave Cat & Bones great send off. It left me feeling warm and fuzzy about the gang and how they have become a more than just friends to each other. They are a blended family that will die for each other and I could see them decades (not in the real world because this is fiction) down the road still getting together to have fun and probably kicking some ass.

Everyone … we’ll see you again, some soon, some later, but as vampires say, until again.”

I got a little teary eyed while hearing that line at the end. It’s not a goodbye but a we’ll meet again. So here’s hoping that Cat 7 Bones will show up again at some point in our lives maybe through Vlad’s last book or if Frost decides to give us anymore Night Huntress World books.

Up From the Grave is a MUST read for the series fans. I think most people will be satisfied with the ending.

“Shame on you, Crispin. Married how long, and you haven’t spanked your wife with a metal spatula yet?”

I’d gotten used to Ian’s assumption that everyone was as perverted as he was, so I didn’t miss a beat.

“We prefer blender beaters for our kitchen utensil kink,” I said with a straight face.

Bones hid his smile behind his hand, but Ian looked intrigued.

“I haven’t tried that … oh, you’re lying, aren’t you?”

“Ya think?” I asked with a snort.

Ian gave a sigh of exaggerated patience and glanced at Bones.

Tavia Gilbert’s narration has grown on me after listening to the first book, Halfway to the Grave and Once Burned (Vlad’s 1st book). I’m still not loving her voice for Bones but I can deal with it. Tavia has a nice reading voice and her female voices are done well and she does an ok job with the male voices (expect Bones IMO). But over all the narration is doable and I would give Tavia another try with a different book to see how her narration works for different characters.

signature

Source: http://thebooknympho.com/2014/02/review-up-from-the-grave-by-jeaniene-frost