TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

Audio Review: One Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy

This book may be unsuitable for people under 17 years of age due to its use of sexual content, drug and alcohol use, and/or violence.

Audio Review: One Week Girlfriend by Monica MurphyOne Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy
Series: Drew + Fable #1
Pages: 274
Length: 6 hours
Source: Purchased
Purchase Book | Add to Goodreads

I’m still pretty new to audios with more than one narrator. One Week Girlfriend is narrated by Kate Rudd and Luke Daniels. With the story switching between the two main characters’ (Fable and Drew) point of views the narration switches. Kate Rudd narrates for Fable’s POV and Luke Daniels for Drew’s POV. But both narrators do both characters’ voices. This is where it was different for me.

Kate Rudd’s narration was very good for both Fable and Drew. She really pulls of the male voice while making Fable sound very different and feminine. Honestly I would have enjoyed the narration with just her as the narrator not to say that I didn’t enjoy Luke Daniel’s narration.

Luke Daniel has a great masculine voice but with Drew only being 21 I felt like his voice was too old sounding for the character and his female voices had me laughing at first. But then I got use to them and thought a man with that deep of a voice can only do female voices so well and he did do an ok job with them.

Over all I enjoyed the narration job of both narrators and I’m interested in seeing how the narration for the second book, Second Chance Boyfriend goes since there is a third narrator. Ok enough about the narration let’s move on to my thoughts of the plot.

Why did I purchase the audio for One Week Girlfriend? I received the 2nd book for review on audio and I wasn’t about to start the series there. Also I’ve been looking for more contemporary romances to enjoy andOne Week Girlfriend has been getting some great ratings by other bloggers I follow so I thought why not give it a try.

The story is about Drew a college student at a small university that’s the football star. It’s Thanksgiving break and he doesn’t want to go home to visit his dad and stepmother. So he gets the idea to ask the pretty girl who works at a local bar to be his girlfriend for the week, Pretty Woman style. He pays her for the week, not for sex but just to play his girlfriend so that he has a buffer between him and his family.

Fable the bar waitress is a townie and the same age as Drew (21) but she doesn’t attend college because she doesn’t have the money. She may only be 21 but she is the only thing keeping her family together. Her mother is a drunk that moves from one lousy boyfriend to another so that leaves Fable being the mother to her 13-year-old brother, Owen.

Fable agrees to Drew’s crazy plan because she needs the money he offers to pay her for the week but she has no idea what she is getting herself into.

Just when Fable thinks her family is messed up she gets a look into Drew’s dark family past and it breaks her heart. Drew is so damaged from his past that Fable wants no needs to help him and the two end up falling in love with each other by the time their week is up. But because Drew has a ton of stuff to work through he is always pushing Fable away.

One Week Girlfriend is not a sweet and happy romance and don’t read it thinking you will get a HEA. BUT there is hope for a HEA later with the couple and I’m hoping they get it in the 2nd book, Second Chance Boyfriend which I will be starting very soon on audio so look for that review coming soon.

signature