TheBookNympho

Length: 8 hrs and 42 mins
Source: Publisher
Purchase Book | Add to Goodreads

First Impression:

The second half of the book didn’t knock my socks off but I’m willing to give the series and author another try.

The Narration/Production:

Veronica Muench has a nice voice but I’m not sure she was the right choice for this book. She didn’t change her tone enough for different characters for my liking. I don’t know if it’s Muench’s narration style or how she was directed but there was no noticeable pauses between changes in scenes and POVs. I found myself confused as to who was talking and that the POV had changed.

Since I’ve listened to many audio books I really notice when a break in the recording or when a re-record was done. Some audio productions does an amazing job in editing the audio book together where I don’t hear the difference. So when one like this one not editing as well the ups and downs of the bass and treble is off enough to make it sound like a different narrator for a few seconds it’s a little distracting to me.

What I liked:

Neva is not the instant kick ass chick that you get sometimes with shifter/were stories. She’s new to the wolf thing and think as the series continues she will grow. Travis is a born changeling and is much older than Neva but he doesn’t try to pull the alpha-hole attitude with her. He helps her with wolf and teaches her about the changeling world. I really feel like they are a partnership.

I liked that the villain has a familial connects to one of the main characters. I really think that Meredith de la Ronde could grow to be an even more evil bitch as Neva grows to into her role as the heroine.

What I didn’t like:

I was pulled into the first half of the book and really enjoyed it but then somewhere in the last half I started loosing some of my interest in it for some reason. I think some of it might have been the convenience of Travis having a grandfather that knew about magic and that made him know more about magic than I thought his character should. It seems to come out of the blue. Maybe Travis’ pass was not fleshed out each for me.

Neva and Travis ended up bound to each other through their wolves and yeah they like each other and have amazing sex but there’s no mention of love (unless I missed it).  True most of the shifter/were books I’ve read the animal side knows it’s mate when it meets it but there’s usually more of a feeling of love between the human sides. I didn’t really feel that with Neva and Travis. Guess that will come in the next book.

Lasting Impression:

Even though I didn’t fall completely in love with First Bite and it had a few issues that a lot of first books in a series fall prey to, I did enjoy it.

Will I continue this series?

I was intrigued enough by the characters and world that I will give the 2nd book, Ties That Bind a try but I may read it instead of listening if it has the same narrator.

Would I read this author again?

Yes. I have Changeling Moon by Harper on my Nook and I plan to read it within the next couple of months.

signature

Source: http://I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Audio Review: First Bite by Dani HarperFirst Bite by Dani Harper Series: Dark Wolf #1 Rating: