TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

A Prefect Ending! Grave Phantoms by Jenn Bennett

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. No compensation was provided and all opinions are strictly my own.

A Prefect Ending! Grave Phantoms by Jenn BennettGrave Phantoms by Jenn Bennett
Series: Roaring Twenties #3
Published by Berkley Sensation on May 5th 2015
Genres: Paranormal Romance
Format: eARC
Source: NetGalley
four-stars
Amazon | B&N | Goodreads
Feisty flapper Astrid Magnusson is home from college and yearning for the one thing that’s always been off limits: Bo Yeung, her notorious bootlegging brother’s second-in-command. Unfortunately her dream of an easy reunion proves difficult after a violent storm sends a mysterious yacht crashing into the Magnussons’ docks. What’s worse, the boat disappeared a year ago, and the survivors are acting strangely…

Bo has worked with the Magnusson family for years, doing whatever is needed, including keeping his boss’s younger sister out of trouble—and his hands to himself. Of course, that isn’t so easy after Astrid has a haunting vision about the yacht’s disappearance, plunging them into an underground world of old money and dark magic. Danger will drive them closer together, but surviving their own forbidden feelings could be the bigger risk.

icon SEXY Icon INFURIATING icon PAGE TURNER

BENNET HAS CEMENTED HER SPOT ON MY AUTO-READER AUTHORS LIST!

the infuriating part

Has nothing to do with the book itself. I love reading the Roaring Twenties, I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love the newness of it for me as a reader since I’ve never read a book/series set in the 20s. It’s fun to see some of the American historical elements weaved through it. Jenn Bennett did a great job in her research and had me researching a few things as I read each book. The 20s is really an awaking decant in America in many ways. But the part that pisses me off is the sexism, racism and even classism (is that word?).

It really hits me hard in Grave Phantoms. The fact that Bo and Astrid can’t be together in public because he is Chinese and she is white just makes me mad! Bo and Astrid have two social obstacles against them, their difference in class and their races. I hurt for this couple. They love each other so deeply and completely but they have to hide it because of what people will say and the fact that it’s illegal for them to get married. GRRRRR!!

the sexy

Bo and Astrid has been dancing around each other for years and their attraction for each other finally boils over and it’s hot! Because of their differences in the public eye (Astrid being white and wealthy) Bo demands to be the “boss” in the bedroom and Astrid has no problems letting him take the lead. They are made for each other and their smexy scenes are both tongue curling and touching.

page-turner

Jenn Bennett sucked me in from page one of Grave Phantoms and held my attention until the last page. The characters of the Roaring Twenties series are bold, sassy and characters that works their way into your heart. The paranormal elements in the mystery are just the right touch to keep PNR readers happy.

a perfect ending

I hate that Grave Phantoms is the last book Jenn Bennett’s Roaring Twenties series. I did enjoy seeing peeks into the previous couples lives to see what they have been up to. And the epilogue was a prefect ending to Bo and Astrid’s HEA. It made all the infuriating parts worth it.

Cover side note

I so happy to see that the cover has an Asian model for Bo.  I’ve read other books where the hero or heroine was not white and yet both models are white. So high five to Berkley for staying true to Jenn Bennett’s characters!

About Jenn Bennett

jennbennett-1024x685

Jenn Bennett is author of the Arcadia Bell urban fantasy series from Pocket Books and the upcoming Roaring Twenties paranormal romance series from Berkley. Born in Germany, she has a B.F.A. in Painting from Troy University. She’s lived and traveled extensively throughout Europe, the U.S., and the Far East, and currently lives near Atlanta with one husband and two very bad pugs. Get weekly Facebook updates from Jenn by liking her fan page, or follow her on Twitter for daily dribbles about her current writing projects, the book industry, and miscellaneous obsessions.

Source: http://wp.me/p3GvSV-4DY