TheBookNympho

Format: eBook
Source: Library
four-half-stars
Amazon | B&N | Goodreads
Wizard sentinel DJ Jaco thought she had gotten used to the chaos of her life in post-Katrina New Orleans, but a new threat is looming, one that will test every relationship she holds dear.

Caught in the middle of a rising struggle between the major powers in the supernatural world—the Wizards, Elves, Vampires and the Fae—DJ finds her loyalties torn and her mettle tested in matters both professional and personal.

Her relationship with enforcer Alex Warin is shaky, her non-husband, Quince Randolph, is growing more powerful, and her best friend, Eugenie, has a bombshell that could blow everything to Elfheim and back. And that's before the French pirate, Jean Lafitte, newly revived from his latest "death," returns to New Orleans with vengeance on his mind. DJ's assignment? Keep the sexy leader of the historical undead out of trouble. Good luck with that.

Duty clashes with love, loyalty with deception, and friendship with responsibility as DJ navigates passion and politics in the murky waters of a New Orleans caught in the grips of a brutal winter that might have nothing to do with Mother Nature.

War could be brewing, and DJ will be forced to take a stand. But choosing sides won't be that easy.

icon magical icon snarky icon cliff Icon Library Book

The streets of NOLA is running amuck with paranormal creatures like wizards, elves, merman shifters, vampires and faeries. And this time there’s a freak snow story in NOLA that’s making things interesting for DJ and the gang.

I love Suzanne Johnson’s Sentinels of New Orleans and I’ve been stalking her site for a release date for Pirate’s Alleyever since I finished the 3rd book, Elysian Fields. It’s been a long wait but all is forgotten and forgiven while I lived and breathed DJ and her inner circle of friends.

While DJ is usually involved in more physical action, this time around she’s having to work around interspecies political crap and mind games.  This all comes about after the events in Elysian Fields. DJ is dealing with what the bonding to Rand means and she gets a few surprises in that department. DJ and Alex are having to work hard on keeping their relationship together. DJ finally learns how the undead pirate, Jean Lafitte, truly feels about her. And the whole gang is bobbing and waving to keep afloat the in upcoming war between the Interspecies Council members.

what i loved

Damn near everything! I love the world and characters that Johnson has created. They are complex, funny and very entertaining. I really enjoyed getting to see more of some of the secondary characters that’s been introduced over the span of the series so far and we even get to meet a couple of new ones.

I really liked the addition of the faeries. They are weird and scary, I’m not sure if they are good or evil but they were fun to read about.

• Jean Lafitte –  the French undead pirate is always a hoot and I loved the heart to heart that he and DJ had.
  • Jake – He seems to be back to his fun and carefree self and working towards a HEA.
  • Renee – what’s not to like about a cajun merman shifter?!
  • Quince Randolph (Rand) – I love to hate him. Like DJ, I like him when he’s not being the self-important elf asshat. I think he is a character that could go either way.
  • Christof – the Faerie Prince of Winter, again a character I’m not sure if he can be trusted but he was a fun addition to the group.

what i didn’t love as much

I waffled so much about Alex in this one. I almost wished he and DJ would break it off then he would do the right thing instead of the straight-laced solider. Alex is the world as black and white with no remove for a gray area. DJ lives in the gray area, knowing that sometimes you have to bend if not break a few rules to keep your friends and loved ones safe.

Why I took off 1/2 star

Hurricane Katrina . . . I don’t want to sound like an ass or uncaring but I feel like 4 books into the series we can let some of the references to Katrina go. I know in real like it was a horrible event that reshaped NOLA. And it played a big part of the world building in the Sentinels of New Orleans series, it was the event that brought down the walls between NOLA and Old NOLA causes all kinds of trouble for DJ. BUT I feel like the references could be cut down a little at this point. Maybe I’m being picky.

RECOMMENDED

I have grabby hands for the next installment and hope the wait for it is no as long. I highly recommend to fans of strong, sassy and magical heroines. Pick up a copy of Pirate’s Alley today. It’s full of snarky humor and great secondary characters that keeps the heroine on her toes.  If you have not read the Sentinels of New Orleans series by Suzanne Johnson you should start with book 1, Royal Street.

Fun Scene:
The waiter brought a fizzy drink and set it in front of Capote, who took his little plastic spear, stabbed a cherry, and held it out to me. “Suck it. Let’s see those tongue skills,” he said.

I choked on my French Double-oh-Seven. “I beg your par- don?”

Jean’s smile widened into a full-out grin. “One should not wear such clothing if one does not wish to receive such invitations, my pet.”

Huh? I looked down at my sweatshirt for the first time. I’d grabbed the first thing I saw in the gift shop and hadn’t even pulled the price tags off. A line of gold crawfish claws danced across the front, with lines of enormous purple type above and below that said “suck dat head” and “pinch dat tail.”

Gah. “It’s talking about crawfish, not sex.”

Source: http://thebooknympho.com/2015/05/pirates-alley-by-suzanne-johnson