TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

Interview, Review & Giveaway | Cold Burn Of Magic By Jennifer Estep

I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. No compensation was provided and all opinions are strictly my own.

Interview, Review & Giveaway | Cold Burn of Magic by Jennifer EstepCold Burn of Magic by Jennifer Estep
Series: Black Blade #1
Published by K-Teen on April 28th 2015
Genres: Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Format: ARC
Source: Author
four-stars
Amazon | B&N | Goodreads

There Be Monsters Here. . .

It's not as great as you'd think, living in a tourist town that's known as "the most magical place in America." Same boring high school, just twice as many monsters under the bridges and rival Families killing each other for power.

I try to keep out of it. I've got my mom's bloodiron sword and my slightly illegal home in the basement of the municipal library. And a couple of Talents I try to keep quiet, including very light fingers and a way with a lock pick.

But then some nasty characters bring their Family feud into my friend's pawn shop, and I have to make a call--get involved, or watch a cute guy die because I didn't. I guess I made the wrong choice, because now I'm stuck putting everything on the line for Devon Sinclair. My mom was murdered because of the Families, and it looks like I'm going to end up just like her. . .

Most of you know I don’t read many YA books but when a few of my favorite adult authors also write YA like Jennifer Estep I’m game to give it a try. I mean I love her adult urban fantasy series, Elemental Assassin and her pervious YA series, Mythos Academy series. Well Cold Burn of Magic was no different!

the heroine

Where’s the most magical place in America? According to Jennifer Estep it’s Cloudburst Falls, West Virginia the town that Cold Burn of Magic takes place. We follow the life of seventeen-year-old Lila Merriweather. She’s an anti-heroine much like Gin Blanco (EA series). We shouldn’t like her or root for her, she’s a thief and no stranger to blood.

Blood didn’t usually bother me. I’d killed people before. Folks who’d attached me during my jobs for Mo. Others who’d come after me just because they’d wanted to, thinking that a lone girl would be an easy target. Monsters who’d slithered out of dark alleys, determined to make a meal out of me. Oh no, blood didn’t bother me . . .

But gosh darn it, she’s just so kick ass and snarky that I feel in love with her. She reminds me of a younger Gin Blanco so how could I not like her?!

There Be Monsters Here. . .

Yeah there be monsters in Cold Burn of Magic, Estep introduces us to trolls, pixies, a lochness monster that lives under a bridge and you better pay it’s toll when crossing it’s bridge!

And let’s not forget the magicks, they have talents in the form of the senses for example, the heroine, Lila has a Sight talent. She can look into a person’s eyes and know what they are feeling deep in their souls, she calls it her soul sight.

Lila also swings a mean sword (Estep is great at bring us strong heroines with an affinity for knives and magic). And another parallel to Gin Blanco is that Lila is an orphan (really, Estep could write for Disney, all the parents are dead in her books LOL) prefers to work alone. But Lila finds herself becoming a member of a small group and I think over time they will become her family. One of the new people in her life is Oscar the grouchy, cowboy boot wearing, redneck pixie. He make me think of him as Jenks’ (from the Hollows series by Kim Harrison) country cousin without the dirty mouth.

I highly recommend

Cold Burn of Magic is an action package adventure, minus the usual YA angst, that adult readers can get behind, especially fans of Estep’s Elemental Assassin series. So if you like magic, monsters and evil mobster families you’ll enjoy Lia Merriweather and the great side characters that Jennifer Estep introduces in the first installment of her Black Blade series.

Check out my interview with Jennifer Estep and Enter the US giveaway HERE.