TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

DARK TASTE OF RAPTURE BY GENA SHOWALTER

I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. No compensation was provided and all opinions are strictly my own.

Dark Taste of Rapture by Gena ShowalterDark Taste of Rapture by Gena Showalter
Length: 11 hrs and 39 mins
Source: Publisher
four-stars
Audiobook | Goodreads
Hector Dean is shaved, tattooed, and totally ripped—and he has a deadly secret. He is a walking weapon, capable of killing with a single brush of his fingertips. Little wonder he’s determined to remain on his own. But Noelle Tremain is a temptation like no other. She is beautiful and rich, with a party girl smile that hides a shocking vulnerability, and from the beginning his sizzling attraction to her is undeniable. For the first time, his stone-cold resistance is tested. But to be with her, he risks destroying her.

When a wealthy businessman is murdered in New Chicago’s seediest district, the two are partnered, and there’s no escaping what they both want: each other. Yet neither Hector nor Noelle knows what to fear more—the killer case, or their own lethal desires. . .

icon AUDIOBOOK  icon alpha  icon snarky

first thought

Dark Taste of Rapture left me wanting more of this world!

the romance

Noelle and Hector is a great couple. Both are strong and  vulnerable. Noelle is cocky and keeps people at arm’s length with her snark and dumb, rich girl act. But Hector sees right through it. The two can’t stay away from each other at first until Hector shuts their attraction down by telling Noelle not to ever speak to him again.

Hector, like Noelle, keeps people from getting close to him. But for a different reason. He can kill with just one touch if his emotions are out of control. Hector doesn’t touch anyone and all he wants to do is touch Noelle, all over.

Noelle and Hector dance around each other until they can’t stay away. They share their fears and secrets and try to make a relationship work but of course it’s a bumpy ride. Neither of them know what they’re doing. For all of Noelle’s flirting and big talk, she’s only been with two other guys and one didn’t really count. Hector has never been with a woman, well other than the hookers he used to get him off but he’s a virgin where it counts because of his dangerous arms.

In the end Noelle and Hector get their HEA and it was a wild ride to the end.

the narration

With Dark Taste of Rapture seeming to be the last book in the Alien Huntress series there was a narrator change.  All the other books were narrated by one of my favorite narrators, Justin Eyre. She did a great job with the series. When I saw that Sebastian York was the narrator for Dark Taste of Rapture I was surprised and happy.

Sebastian has a smooth and sensual voice and because of that he doesn’t deliver Noelle’s voice well but only because he has so much bass in his voice. He does pull off her snark very well. Sebastian is prefect for snarky and assholish (is that a word?) characters (Drew Evans of Emma Chase’s Tangled series) Honestly I’ve never listened to a narrator that has so much swagger in their voice that Sebastian convenes.  I picture him recording audio books in a candlelit room wearing a robe with a glass of a expensive whisky in hand and smoking a cigar with beautiful women feeding him grapes. Yeah in my mind Sebastian York is the Hugh Hefner of narrators. LOL

final thought

The ride is over, for now I hope. Come on Showalter, Dallas needs a book!!  But there is the spin off series, Otherworld Assassin. Which I will be listening to soon.