TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

VISION IN SILVER BY ANNE BISHOP

I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. No compensation was provided and all opinions are strictly my own.

Joint Review | Vision in Silver by Anne BishopVision in Silver by Anne Bishop
Series: The Others #3
Narrator: Alexandra Harris
Published by Roc on March 3rd 2015
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Format: eARC
Source: Publisher
 Amazon | Audiobook | B&N | Goodreads
The Others freed the cassandra sangue to protect the blood prophets from exploitation, not realizing their actions would have dire consequences. Now the fragile seers are in greater danger than ever before—both from their own weaknesses and from those who seek to control their divinations for wicked purposes. In desperate need of answers, Simon Wolfgard, a shape-shifter leader among the Others, has no choice but to enlist blood prophet Meg Corbyn’s help, regardless of the risks she faces by aiding him.

Meg is still deep in the throes of her addiction to the euphoria she feels when she cuts and speaks prophecy. She knows each slice of her blade tempts death. But Others and humans alike need answers, and her visions may be Simon’s only hope of ending the conflict.

For the shadows of war are deepening across the Atlantik, and the prejudice of a fanatic faction is threatening to bring the battle right to Meg and Simon’s doorstep…

Icon 2015  icon well written  icon AUDIOBOOK

Vision in Silver picks up after the events in Murder of Crows. Simon and the gang has saved a group of the cassandra sangue, young girls that were imprisoned and bled for prophecies. These young girls have been trying to deal with the outside world and they are not faring as well as Meg.

Meg decides to do a controlled cut (ok if you are not up to speed on this series the cassandra sangue has visions of the future when they cut themselves and they must do this to relieve themselves of pain from time to time but they usually only do it when they have a “pins and needle” feel on their skin. A controlled cut is cutting for prophecy without the pain to do so.) Meg tells her human friend, Merri Lee what she sees when she cuts herself and they alone with the Others in the Lakeside Courtyard work together to figure out the images that Meg saw. It takes a bit of detective work to realize that the other cassandra sangue are in danger.

I love the world that Anne Bishop has created. It’s simple yet complex and dark. Vision in Silver is darker in parts than the last two books in the Others series. I remember when a blogging buddy (Jen from That’s What I’m Talking About) was reading them that she had issues with a couple of things I didn’t even blink at. But this time I had a big issue with how the humans were “cleaning house” with unwanted babies. It was dark and yet not too shocking if you keep in mind the world that Bishop has created. These are not sexy and fluffy shape-shifters and now without a doubt the humans can be bigger monsters than the furry ones.

But don’t worry, Anne Bishop throws in some humor to lighten the dark plot. With each book Simon is starting to think more like a human male when it comes to females. I loved the scene where he tries to put Meg at ease over her new hair cut.

“Take off the hat, Meg,” Simon said. Merri Lee would look at Meg’s new coat, make a casual remark, and then…

“Wow! That’s radical.”

Meg’s breathing hitched. Simon turned on Merri Lee and snarled, “You are not being helpful!”

Just when I think that the terra indigenes (shape-shifters) are starting to think and act more like their human counter parts I’m reminded they are truly animals that can look like humans.

“She cried on me,” Nathan said. “I couldn’t understand most of what she said, but she cried until my fur was wet.”  . . .

“There’s nothing in my fur, is there?”

Simon gave the other Wolf a careful look. “No boggers.”

“Good. I hate washing boogers out of fur.”

“Who doesn’t? What comes out of human noses is disgusting.”

Vision of Silver a nice balance between great world building, amazing characters and the right amount of funny moments.

Narration

Alexandra Harris continues to entertain me with her performance of the characters. Her wolf noises just make me smile. I feel like her male voices could be better, especially the human cops. She doesn’t change her inflection as much for them as she does for Simon and the other terra indigenes. I think Harris is perfect for this series overall. She makes Meg sound youthful and innocent.

If you’re looking for a well written and unique fantasy series, The Others is a fantastic series but you should start with book 1, Written in Red or you will find yourself lost.