TheBookNympho

Length: 7 hrs and 58 mins
Source: Publisher, Purchased
three-stars
Audiobook | B&N | Goodreads
Suzy Denton thought she had it all: a great job as an event planner for Danvers International and a committed relationship to her high school sweetheart...

But now her life has gone to hell in a hand-basket. Not only did she discover her fiancé cheating, but a recent corporate merger is making her job very difficult—mostly due to Grayson Merimon, wealthy CEO. Gray is a man who goes after what he wants. And, after their first meeting, he wants Suzy.

Even though he looks like every fantasy she’s ever had, Suzy is wary of the powerful businessman. She likes her newfound independence, even if her best friend thinks it’s an excuse not to risk her heart again. Besides, she doesn’t think Gray could ever be interested in a relationship with someone like her. When he calls her bluff, Suzy agrees to one night together.

But when circumstances continue to throw them together—and with Gray determined to show her that two opposites can be a perfect fit—Suzy realizes that she might just have found the one man who can give her what she always needed….

icon AUDIOBOOK  icon hotmess  Icon TBR Jar

I’ve had NOT PLANNING ON YOU on my Nook for about 2 years. It got lost in my massive TBR pile. I finally decided to give it a go on audio.

the story

I have to be honest, I zoned out a few times early into the story and I’m not 100% clear why Suzy, who wanted no kind of relationship with Gray, agreed to stay with him when she broke her ankle. It doesn’t make sense to me and it’s not believable. But I guess Sydney Landon had to throw these to characters together somehow so that Gray could “date” Suzy since she kept turning him down.

Why did Suzy keep turning down dates with Gray? She got hurt by her last (and only) boyfriend. He was her high school sweetheart and she just knew they would get married and live happily ever after, until he cheated on her. Now she doesn’t want to get hurt again so she’s been trying to fight her attraction to Gray. Suzy thought she could shake Gray up by saying that just sleep together to get over their attraction to each other and be done with it.

Gray wants more than just sex and knows about Suzy’s past and that she’s afraid of getting hurt again. But he wants the real thing with her and does his best to win her over.

I think the added element of Gray’s “ex-girlfriend” with the stalker issues wasn’t needed.

the narration

Allyson Ryan voice rang a bell with me when her name didn’t. I’m 85% sure she narrates under another name and has narrated a PNR series I’ve listened to. Since narrators used pseudonyms for a reason I’m not going to call her out on the other name. But I will say, her performance is the same in the Danvers as it was in the PNR. Which is OK. She does well with the female voices and non dialogue but not so great with the males voices. And sometimes she’s a little too dramatic in her reading when I would not have read it that way in my head. So for me, Allyson made some of the cheesy lines in NOT PLANNING ON YOU even cheesier. Really I felt like I should have been drinking a glass of wine while listening to all the cheesiness.

the verdict

I’ll give the next book a go but not on audio.