TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

HEROINE WITH AN UNHEALTHY OBSESSION WITH BUTTERSCOTCH! ECSTASY IN DARKNESS BY GENA SHOWALTER

I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. No compensation was provided and all opinions are strictly my own.

Heroine with an unhealthy obsession with butterscotch! Ecstasy in Darkness by Gena ShowalterEcstasy in Darkness by Gena Showalter
Series: Alien Huntress #5
Narrator: Justine Eyre
Published by Simon & Schuster AudioGenres: Paranormal Romance
Format: Audiobook
Length: 13 hrs and 8 mins
Source: Publisher
four-stars
Audiobook | Goodreads
Growing up poor on New Chicago’s meanest streets, Ava Sans had two options: be the predator or be the prey. No contest. Now, working for Alien Investigation and Removal, she’s been ordered to capture the biggest, baddest warrior of all—a vampire too beautiful to be real, with the ability to manipulate time. Once the leader of the entire vampire army, McKell has been deemed savage and unstable, spurned even by his own kind.

To McKell, humans should be nothing more than sustenance. Yet the petite, golden-skinned Ava is a fascinating contradiction—vicious yet witty, strong yet vulnerable, lethal but fiercely loyal. Against his better judgment, McKell craves that loyalty, and much more. When the chase leads to seduction, McKell and Ava will race to discover the truth about his past. But the answers will come at a price, even for a woman who thought she had nothing left to lose. . . .

icon AUDIOBOOK  icon smart funny  icon SEXY

first thought

Gena Showalter continues to entertain me with her sexy aliens.

the writing

I love that Showalter throws in a few hits at Kresley Cole’s IAD series in Ecstasy in Darkness. She also did it in the previous novella, Tempt Me Eternally.  But it’s even more fitting this time around since the heroine, Ava and her BFF Noelle act much like Cole’s Valkyries. Showalter’s writing is well around with action sequences to go with her sexy charged romp scenes. She also brings humor and snark to the table as well.

the world

I love the world in the Alien Huntress series. Showalter explains that all the supes in this world are actually aliens from different worlds and dimensions. There’s some new (at least to me) supes and it brings a refreshing feel to this paranormal romance series.

the romance

This time around we have a vampire male and a human female.  McKell reminds me a little of Lothaire from Cole’s IAD series in that he believes (like much of his race) that humans are food and nothing more. They are below him and dare his fated female be a lowly human.

Ava is an agent in training with AIR. The AIR is the is Alien Investigation and Removal mostly run by humans to keep the dangerous otherworlders (aliens/supes) in line. Ava has so many chips on her shoulder and one being that she made the mistake of sleeping with a follow trainee that had a big mouth about their one night together. Ava doesn’t want to be known as “that agent” that sleeps around with her co-workers and for sure not the one that sleeps with her targets.

McKell and Ava has tons of issues to work through to get their HEA. But Showalter wrote their ride well and Eyre brought it to life marvelously.

the narration

I don’t know what else I can say about Justin Eyre. She totally nails this series and the characters. She does a wide range of accents (very well). She makes me feel like I’m listening to more than one narrator. Her voices for previous characters are exactly as they were in their own book and yet she manages to make the “new” character distinct from older characters.

final thought

I’m sad that the ride is almost over.

Source: http://wp.me/p3GvSV-4oI