TheBookNympho

Length: 9 hrs and 58 mins
Source: Purchased
four-stars
Audiobook | Goodreads
Can Evie convince her rival loves to work together? Their survival depends on it in this third book of #1 New York Times bestselling author Kresley Cole’s Arcana Chronicles, a nonstop action tale of rescue, redemption, and a revenge most wicked.

Heartbreaking decisions
Evie was almost seduced by the life of comfort that Death offered her—until Jack was threatened by two of the most horrific Arcana, The Lovers. She will do anything to save him, even escape Death’s uncanny prison, full of beautiful objects, material comforts…and stolen glances from a former love.

Uncertain victory
Despite leaving a part of her heart behind with Death, Evie sets out into a frozen and perilous post-apocalyptic wasteland to meet up with her allies and launch an attack on The Lovers and the vast army they command. Such formidable enemies require a battle plan, and the only way to kill them once and for all may mean Evie, Jack, and Death allying. Evie doesn’t know what will prove more impossible: surviving slavers, plague, Bagmen and other Arcana—or convincing Jack and Death to work together.

Two heroes returned
There’s a thin line between love and hate, and Evie just doesn’t know where she stands with either Jack or Death. Will this unlikely trio be able to defeat The Lovers without killing one another first?

icon AUDIOBOOK icon cliff Icon Love Traingle icon dystopian icon well written

DEAD OF WINTER was on the top of my most anticipated listens for 2015 and the team of Cole and Galvin delivered!

But I had to take away one star from my normal 5 stars for this series because of the love triangle. Not that it was bad! Yes this is an element in the series that needed to be addressed but maybe not for about 70% of the book. But have no fear Kresley Cole wrote it well. Sure there was some angst but it was not whiny.

In most love triangles I’ve read there is a clear front-runner (at least for me). Cole has made it hard for Evie (and me) to pick which guy she should be with. Just when I think I’ve picked the one I want her with the other guy does something I like and makes me change my mind. Both Jack and Aric (Death) has pros and cons. But I’ve decided that I’m for Aric all the way.

Why?

“I take no actions that I wouldn’t publicly recount. If you can’t speak your deeds, then don’t do them.”

That quote along has pushed me 100% over to “Team Death”. Aric might be many things but he has always been honest with Evie.

Ok romance aside we get more information on two of the Arcana Cards, The Lovers. WOW are those two freaky and all kinds of fucked up! We get some of the signature darkness of the series. We get little of the bagmen and slavers, none of the cannibals. So yeah about 70% of the book is about the love triangle.

The ending promises the next book could bring us back to the epic world Kresley Cole has built with her Arcana Chronicles. So I’ll impatiently wait for it and gobble it up like all the others on audio because Emma Galvin continues to knock the narration out of the park! She has the prefect voice for the series.

Source: http://thebooknympho.com/2015/01/a-hard-choice-dead-of-winter-by-kresley-cole