TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

Sloppy, Sloppy, Sloppy! Black Widow by Jennifer Estep

I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. No compensation was provided and all opinions are strictly my own.

Sloppy, Sloppy, Sloppy! Black Widow by Jennifer EstepBlack Widow by Jennifer Estep
Series: Elemental Assassin #12
Published by Pocket Books on 11-25-14
Genres: Urban Fantasy
Format: eARC
Source: Publisher
five-stars
Amazon | B&N | Goodreads
There’s nothing worse than a cruel, cunning enemy with time to kill—and my murder to plan.

With wicked Fire elemental Mab Monroe long gone, you’d think I could finally catch a break. But someone’s always trying to take me down, either as Gin Blanco or my assassin alter-ago. Now along comes the Spider’s new arch-nemesis, the mysteriously named M. M. Monroe, who is gleefully working overtime to trap me in a sticky web of deceit.

The thing is, I’m not the only target. I can see through the tangled threads enough to know that every bit of bad luck my friends have been having lately is no accident—and that each unfortunate “coincidence” is just one more arrow drawing ever closer to hitting the real bulls-eye. Though new to Ashland, this M. M. Monroe is no stranger to irony, trying to get me, an assassin, framed for murder. Yet, as my enemy’s master plan is slowly revealed, I have a sinking feeling that it will take more than my powerful Ice and Stone magic to stop my whole life from going up in flames.

There may be some mild spoilers for book 11, POISON PROMISE  ahead.

wellwritten BOOKLOVE KICKASS 2014

After POISON PROMISE I was a little worried going into BLACK WIDOW that we would get a sense of deja vu dealing with M.M. Monroe. But I was wrong and I should know by now to trust Jennifer Estep 100%.

Gin Blanco, aka The Spider pretty much works alone but over the course of the series she’s had help from her friends and family. But BLACK WIDOW is an exercise in extreme team building, that’s for sure! Everyone gets into the act of taking down M.M. Monroe. All of the secondary characters you love are present plus the new addition to Gin’s team, Silvio Sanchez, Gin’s personal assistant.

Silvio brings some organization to The Spider in the form of daily assassin reports (LOL) and some comic relief in his rivalry to Finn as Gin’s go-to-guy for dirt and information on the citizens of Ashland. It’s funny watching Finn flounder when Silvio scoops him.  Gin has her very own Jonah Mcallister on the payroll now. Speaking of Jonah, like a bad penny he turns up yet again. He was once at the side of Mab Monroe and now he’s in the back pocket of Madeline Magda Monroe right were the slimy little worm should be.

Madeline might be the daughter of the infamous Mab Monroe but their similarities end at the last name and red hair. Mab was a powerful fire elemental who would kill and asked questions later. Madeline was an acid elemental and sneaky, preferring to play games and misuse the law to get what she wants. So where Madeline lacks in the show of physical strength she shows it in her sneaky and cunning planning. Madeline really stepped into it when she went after Gin’s friends, family and even The Pork Pit. Madeline got sloppy, sloppy, sloppy and before she knew it, The Spider was serving her up like a cold plate of leftovers.

Twelve is a golden number for Jennifer Estep. It’s a true testament to Estep’s writing that with twelve books under her belt, she can still deliver great plots and characters with her the Elemental Assassin series. With no signs of slowing down, BLACK WIDOW is definitely in the top 3 of my favorites in the series and now that the landscape of Gin’s life has changed, I can’t wait to see if Estep can make number thirteen lucky for Gin and the group.

Review originally posted at RomanceatRandom.com

About Jennifer Estep

Jennifer-Estep-4-240x300

Jennifer Estep is a New York Times bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series for Pocket Books and the Mythos Academy young adult urban fantasy series for Kensington. She is also the author of the Bigtime paranormal romance series. For more information on her books, visit Jennifer’s website at www.jenniferestep.com.