TheBookNympho

TheBookNympho

Talking Between Reads (TBR): Horror Recommendations

TBR
Talking Between Reads (TBR) is a weekly discussion post where we talk about different topics from books to blogging and anything else we think you guys might enjoy. Stop by on Mondays for new topics.

Horror Recommendations

With Halloween coming up on Friday, I reached out to a fellow bloggers, Paul at Audio Book Reviewer and Cat at Addicted 2 Heroines to see if they were up for recommending some horror novels. And of course they were so take a look at their lists.

Paul's Top 10 Audio Recommendations

There are so many reasons to love a good horror audiobook, in fact too many to mention here. For me the secrets to a sensational horror story are a mix of the following. 1. The story has to be about more than blood, guts and gore. There has to be some sort of substance to the story. 2. There has to be a really good, err, "bad" villain. Doesn't matter what kind of villain, monster, vampire, satan, serial killer, all fill the bill. Again there has to be more than "I'm an evil monster and must kill everything!" 3. There has to be good characters, whether they die or not. Characters must be developed. Here is my pick of the top 10 horror audiobooks that I have listened to in 2014.
  1. The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty "This was a seriously intense but fantastically horrific listen. I was sad to see that books two is not in audio. I would buy them today!" - $6.95 at Audible til October 31 (member price)
  2. Jigsaw Man by Gord Rollo "Jigsaw Man might be the horror novel that for whatever reason you pass by. Don’t let this happen to you. I would have never guessed that I was going to like this adventure a into truly sick and twisted disturbingly refreshing modern reinventing of the old classic Frankenstein’s Monster. That made my soul feel dirty and awkward for enjoying such a brutal and unsettling tale."
  3. Moonstruck: High Moor 2 by Graeme Reynolds "There was a ton more werewolf action than the first book, which I appreciated greatly. Along with a few plot twists that I did not see coming. If you were a fan of the first book you must give this a listen."
  4. Suffer the Children by Craig DiLouie "Everything is gumdrops and popsicles again until again the children appear to die and reawaken. Until one mother figures out what they need to survive, her blood. What if a pint of blood would only guarantee another hour of time with your little one? How far would you go? If I was a parent I can only imagine that I would be happy to do anything for my child survival, would you?"
  5. The Troop by Nick Cutter "My hat is off to Nick Cutter as I never had to stop listening to audiobook just because I was too creeped out to continue. The Troop is hands down the epitome of a horror story. It has everything a horror fan will want, monsters that are monsters and that are the people themselves. With suburb character development, to the point where you think you know them very well and then you don’t." - $6.95 at Audible til October 31 (member price)
  6. Strangers by Michaelbrent Collings "In reading this horrifying book, you WILL change how you open your door to strangers, who has access to your home, family and secrets! You will no longer be passive because Michaelbrent won’t allow it as he puts the fear of strangers in you!"
  7. Deadman's Road by Joe R. Lansdale "Each story puts Mercer against one particular evil at a time, zombies, werewolves, vampires, and goblins. Hugely entertaining, find the evil, kill the evil, that is all. Quite gory at times and others very crass. I loved it!"
  8. Die Trying by Nicholas Ryan "I have never been as tense while listening to a zombie apocalypse audiobook as I was while listening to Die Trying: A Zombie Apocalypse. The first part of this story that hooked me immediately taking place during a violent thunder-storm in the pitch black of night, where our band of survivors were trying to track down a mysterious sound in the air, I really thought that was all the story was going to be for a while and I would have been totally alright with that. "
  9. The Housemates by Iain Rob Wright "The Housemates is a great exploration of group dynamics under duress. Full of surprises and plot twists that kept me guessing until the very end. Believable characters, and somewhat believable situations. Part of the success that Wright has with The Housemates is because we are all familiar with reality TV. The twist lies within the psychopaths that are in charge."
  10. Time of Death: Induction (Time of Death #1) by Shana Festa "...excellent characters and great writing kept me hooked. Just another perspective to a genre that many of us know very well. So if you are craving zombies, needing your fix, do not miss out on a story that will quench your desires and not make you think hard. Just sit back and enjoy."

Cat's Top 5 Horror Recommendations

Addicted 2 Heroines

1. The Restorer by Amanda Stevens My favorite ghost story is Amanda Stevens' The Restorer, the debut in her Graveyard Queen series. Despite being more than 3 years ago, I still remember reading this alone in my room late at night. By the time I reached the halfway point, I was sitting straight up in bed listening to every little noise that sounded out-of-place, convinced a ghost was coming to suck the life right out of me. If you're looking for a haunting read that will stay on your mind long after you've reached the conclusion, then The Restorer is a must read.
  2. Bird Box by Josh Malerman How could a story where the protagonist stays blindfolded NOT be scary? You don't know what that sound is she's hearing or if she's only imagining the feel of eyes on her or what she's going to see if her blindfold is ever ripped from her face. And you don't know who will be the next to die or what it is that's killing everyone. If you're looking for a really creepy story, then you have to read Bird Box. - $1.99 on Kindle
  3. I Am Legend and Other Stories by Richard Matheson This doesn't make my top 5 for the reason you may think. While I Am Legend is a dark and scary story, I was actually more terrified by Prey featuring a Zuni fetish doll named He Who Kills. I've always been scared of stories and movies that have creepy little homicidal dolls (Child's Play, Dolly, Puppet Master *shudders*) and Prey is no exception. I'm really surprised that I made it through the whole story.
  4. Don't Breathe A Word by Jennifer McMahon Don't Breathe A Word is not your typical kind of scary. Instead of a true horror story, it's more of a psychological thriller that messes with your mind and will having you checking for trapdoors underneath your bed by the time you're through. The best part is the open ending that leaves you wondering what the hell just happened. You'll never really know and that mystery makes it all even more chilling.
  5. The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn Ania Ahlborn is a great horror writer with stories like Seed, The Shuddering, and The Neighbors. The spookiest title to date is her newest release, The Bird Eater. It's a dark, depressing read with an eerie vibe. You'll be hooked by the first gruesome, terrifying chapter.

Do you read/listen to the horror genre?

What are some of your favorites?